APMA/TPMA Working for YOU…Working with YOU
Why join the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) and the Texas Podiatric Medical Association (TPMA)? APMA and TPMA members are part of a unified professional fellowship. The state and national associations provide each individual member the support of professional peers.
Benefits through Discounts and Services
- If your medical malpractice insurance is through PICA, attend the PICA risk management seminar and earn up to 15 percent off your annual premium at the TPMA Southwest Foot and Ankle Conference or the APMA’s Annual Scientific Meeting.
- The Professional Purchase Program allows APMA members to save on products such as footwear, hosiery, and insoles that have been awarded the APMA Seal of Acceptance.
- Savings on APMA’s brochures for patients.
- Member affinity programs for the products and services you use every day.
- APMA members can shop for APMA apparel from Lands’ End. It’s a great place for members to order high-quality clothing, bags, accessories, and other items with the APMA logo.
- Physicians’ Recovery Network (PRN) has been developed to identify and assist impaired (whether by substance abuse, physical and/or mental conditions) podiatric physicians and/or members of the podiatric medical family (including but not limited to, podiatric medical students, family members and office staff of the podiatric physician) so that they can be restored to a full life and/or effective professional practice.
Member Savings on Continuing Medical Education
- The TPMA offers three conferences a year and the with cutting-edge lectures, hands-on workshops, Ethics course to meet the requirements of the TSBPME, Podiatric Medical Assistants General Course and Radiology, and an Exhibit Hall with new products and promotions. The APMA Annual Scientific Meeting (The National), the premier podiatric event of the year, brings together thousands of DPMs from around the country. Attend comprehensive presentations in all the areas of practice that matter to you including surgery, sports medicine, wound care, diabetes care, radiology, primary care, physical medicine and bracing, dermatology, pediatrics, rheumatology, practice management, and coding.
- Attend any of the 3 TPMA Conferences or the APMA’s Annual Scientific Meeting (The National), where registration fees for members are substantially reduced.
- Online CME Registry allows Members to print out a verification of attendance for Continuing Medical Education courses that they have attended at TPMA sponsored meetings (since 2008). TPMA will enter all TPMA Sponsored CME hours. Member can also add non-TPMA sponsored courses to their CME Registry. TSBPME has approved this system and the reports for 100% proof of CME hours for TPMA sponsored courses.
Member Savings on Radiology and Staff Training
- TPMA provides Radiology training at every meeting and at substantial discounts (as a member you save $700.00 per assistant you send to Radiology training required by the DSHS for your podiatric medical assistants).
Benefits through Advocacy
- Federal Advocacy: APMA promotes podiatric medicine through legislative advocacy with the US Congress and through regulatory advocacy with federal government agencies. The Medicare payment system, physician payment reform, national health-care policy, and ERISA are just a few of the issues facing APMA daily. Over the past few years, APMA has been instrumental in putting more than $100 million back into the pockets of DPMs by increasing the Medicare physician fee schedule practice expense relative values for foot care services provided by podiatric physicians. Considering there are 16,000 practicing doctors of podiatric medicine that translates into more than $6,250 for every DPM.
- State Advocacy: Representation of your views to Congress, the Texas legislature, and other administrative agencies to advance the priorities of podiatric medicine through legal and regulatory advocacy. Through these efforts, APMA and its state components have been successful in updating podiatric scope of practice laws to be commensurate with the education, training, and experience of podiatric physicians and surgeons, and have prevented discrimination by private payers and other health systems. The State Advocacy program area has created a comprehensive, easily accessible online database of state policies and maintains an extensive reference manual of state laws and regulations along with other reference materials for members.
- APMA maintains liaisons with other professional organizations, including the American Medical Association, American Osteopathic Association, American Diabetes Association, and American Public Health Association.
Benefits through Representation
- TPMA can provide legal representation in statewide scope of practice issues.
- TPMA can provide information and assistance with credentialing and hospital privileges.
- A Peer Review Committee that has the ability to resolve interpersonal issues between TPMA members, patients, family members, and insurance companies under existing Texas state law such that these do not become public record.
- Access to TPMA Committees for questions relating to current issues in podiatric medicine.
Benefits through Public Education
- Information about you and all of your practice locations is made available to the public through the Find a Podiatrist section on APMA’s website. This section is visited frequently by members of the public who are searching for a local podiatric physician.
- APMA’s and TPMA’s websites provides additional exposure to the podiatric profession. The APMA website receives more than 30,000 visits a month.
- APMA promotes podiatric medicine through media relations, public outreach, and strategic advertising. Communication vehicles include public service announcements (PSAs), news releases, exhibits at health conferences, advertisements in print and online media, and social media tools.
- Annually, APMA’s public relations efforts generate more than a million media impressions. This large undertaking helps to position podiatric physicians as today’s podiatrists, the experts in foot and ankle care.
Benefits through Member Communications
- APMA News, with timely information on the podiatric medical profession, including columns on practice enhancement and insurance advice. Published 10 times each year, APMA News is the trusted source for today’s podiatrist.
- The Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association, the scientific journal of the profession. Published six times each year, JAPMA received the APEX Award for Publication Excellence from 2002-2010; the Communicator Award in 2006, 2009, and 2010; and the Hermes Creative Award in 2008 (Gold), 2009 (Gold), and 2010 and 2011 (Platinum, the highest level).
- The Podiatric Medicine, the official TPMA magazine. Published twice a year. Provides the state membership with the latest news and events happening in Texas.
- APMA Weekly Focus, the weekly digital newsletter for members with all the latest news and updates from the national association.
- TPMA E-News, the monthly digital newsletter for members with all the latest news, updates, and upcoming meetings and events from the state association.
- APMA News Brief, which informs the membership by e-mail weekly of the latest mainstream news on health care, foot health, and podiatric medicine.
- Access to APMA’s website provides valuable information (Medicare and private insurance issues, customizable tip sheets, press releases, PowerPoint presentations, webinars, event information, APMA News digital edition, and JAPMA Online, etc.).
- Access to the member’s only section of the TPMA website that provides members access to the Member Directory and CME Registry and the digital versions of Podiatric Medicine, TPMA E-News, and Medicare and Coding Reports.
- Access to APMA’s e-advocacy site, which allows you to communicate directly with members of Congress about issues such as Medicare reform, improving access to health professionals, and managed care reform/patients rights.
- Inclusion in APMA’s online and hard copy version of the Member Directory, a listing of all APMA members. It is an invaluable resource for contacting your peers and for patient referral. Inclusion in TPMA’s online Member Directory, a listing of all TPMA members.
The above list does not include all benefits received through membership. For more information on membership, please contact TPMA at email@example.com or 512-494-1123.